Thursday, June 21, 2012

A Father's Day Masterpiece

It may be a little late for such a post, since father's day was Sunday. But it was a spectacular day for cake making!

My father is a fan of golf. He plays it and sometimes I catch him watching it! So naturally, on the day honoring him, I paid tribute to his sport. I made a golf course cake complete with cake balls that were suppose to be golf balls.

**Disclaimer - the cake balls don't actually look like golf balls because the candy coating dried quicker than I thought it would. So it kind of looks like a golf green with ping pong balls. Hey there's an idea for another cake...beer pong!!**

It was super easy to make. I mixed a cake mix from Betty Crocker...super moist...then baked it in 2 9" pans, like I would for a layer cake.

I then crumbled one of the cakes up and added vanilla frosting. I mixed that and made cake balls from one of the round pans. I put the balls in the fridge for about 30 to 40 minutes to harden.

While that was hardening, I pulled the other cake out of its pan and put it on a large serving tray (you can use whatever you want, I used this to "set
the scene"). I mixed green food gel with vanilla frosting for the grass and frosted the cake. I then used cupcake frosting (same thing as regular frosting, only its in a can and mine came with tips to change the frosting design). I chose the one that made leaves and I frosted around the edge of the cake.

Next I cut a hole in one area of the cake using a round lid I found. I dug out some of the cake with a spoon and fork. (I didn't cut all the way to the bottom. I wanted it to look like a tee hole). You may have to fix some frosting.

After this, the cake balls were mostly hard. I melted the candy coating as directed by the package and dipped the cake balls in. As I've said before, I meant to make dimples in the balls to look like golf balls, but the candy dried quicker than I thought it would. At this point I would have put the cake balls in the fridge to harden, but since they were hard before I finished dipping, I added them to the cake display.

I also made a flag out of wood skewers and paper taped around the top...shhhh, that's super secret!!

The end product was a hit and delicious! A semi-successful baking endeavor!

No comments:

Post a Comment